Monday, November 6

Another Fallen Leader

By now, you've all heard the news about Pastor Ted Haggard and his alleged moral failure... I've had several conversations about this entire issue, and I'm sure I'll continue to have them over the next several days. Unfortunately, the situation IS an opportunity for the enemy to wreak havoc in the Church (division, gossip, stone throwing), as well as with those who already have issues with us (right or wrong). Countless non-believers, no doubt, are sitting around shaking their heads, saying, "See... I TOLD you those Christians are no better than us!"

Well... they're right! We are no better than them, just better off in many ways because we have a personal relationship with God through His Son Jesus. However, that relationship doesn't give us license to sin... it should, instead, motivate us to desire to sin less. If not for God's grace, though, there go you and I... in the same situation (or worse) than Haggard.

But, you know what? I also think this "crisis" gives Christians everywhere an opportunity to intentionally live out our witness in front of the non-Christians that we know and have regular access to. "How?" you ask. Well, more than ever now, the world's eyes are on us... we can either meet the challenge and live incredible lives through the power of the Spirit so that they can see a dynamic, viable witness to the claims of Christ... or we can take the sin in our lives less than seriously, and wait for the world to see (publicly or privately) what's really going on inside us, and again find another reason to be turned off to Christianity. The choice is up to us.

Please continue to pray for Ted Haggard and the New Life Church family as they struggle through this time... pray for me, as well, as I'm no better than Ted or anybody else. I'm just as prone to temptation, and I have to work just as hard as the next person to stay pure. I'm totally capable of jacking up my life and ministry, if I don't stay plugged into Jesus!

No matter what leaders fall... or what chinks in our armor we receive from the battle, God's Kingdom will continue to grow... He will continue to build His Church... and the gates of hell will not prevail!

No comments: