Monday, September 22

Marriage & Ministry

As any full-time ministry worker will tell you, maintaining oneness in marriage is CRUCIAL in order to be effective in doing what God has called you to do. In fact, if your marriage is unhealthy, your ministry will be unhealthy. Period. It's not easy, but it can be done... it takes loads of work and intentionality, but it is achievable. I haven't always been successful at this... primarily, because I am such a driven person, with a need to achieve at whatever it is I'm doing... not always realizing that being precedes doing, and if I'm not being a successful husband and father then I can't do the work of a successful pastor and church planter.

So, like I do in any other area of my life, I began looking for mentors - people who have "been there, done that", and can share from their wealth of success... and failure. I recently came across a blog post written by Mark Driscoll, chronicling the last 20 years with his wife, Grace... the way Mark speaks of his wife is both encouraging and infectious, with the kind of love every man should strive to emulate. Read it... think on it... and be encouraged. ;-)

"This one is bone from my bone, and flesh from my flesh! She will be called 'woman,' because she was taken from 'man.' This explains why a man leaves his father and mother and is joined to his wife, and the two are united into one." - Gen. 2:23-24

No comments: