Wednesday, February 20

Busting Through Barriers, Pt. 2

"But Moses protested, 'If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, "The God of your ancesters has sent me to you," they will ask me, "What is his name?" Then what should I tell them?' God replied to Moses, 'I AM WHO I AM. Say this to the people of Israel: I AM has sent me to you.'"

Moses first barrier to embracing the "crazy call" of God was the identity barrier... but God busted that right up. Now, he faces another barrier: the INTELLECT BARRIER. The intellect barrier says, "If I go for you, what will I say? I'm new at this... I don't know enough." What ol' Mo was essentially saying was, "Hold up, hold up... now, I just saw the bush! I don't know enough about this whole thing to speak on it, God... I mean, I don't even know you like that!"

This is a struggle that we all go through. There's so much to know about God, His Word, and the Christian life, isn't there? And we never know enough! Yet, we can't allow the fear of what we don't know hold us back in being on mission for God. He already knows we don't know it all... and He doesn't expect us to. He simply expects us to depend on Him, because He alone is our sufficiency. In fact, God's response to Moses is, "Tell them I AM WHO I AM has sent you." Can you imagine what that scenario would look like??

Moses: "The time of your slavery is over... I'm here to help you get out of Dodge!"
Chief Elder of Israel: "Really. And how do we know that? You've got an army or something? Who's with you?"
Moses: "I AM."
Elder: "Come again?"
Moses: "I AM."
Elder: "Okay, funny man! This isn't joke time... who sent you down here???"
Moses: "I AM!!"
Elder: "You are what?!?!"

You get the picture. :-) It may sound funny, but what God was telling Moses was that HE is our suffiency. Whatever we need, HE IS! He told Moses to relay that to the people of Israel... but it was meant to be a barrier-buster for Moses, as well. Fear of the unknown can paralyze us and keep us from being all that God's called us to be... but when we realize that He is our everything... all that we need Him to be... the intellect barrier comes crashing down. We don't fear stepping out because we don't have all the answers... HE is the answer!

So far, Moses has thrown up two barriers to responding to the call of God... and both have been obliterated by God. Moses can't hear it... but somewhere someone is singing... "And another one's gone, another one's gone... another one bites the dust!" ;-)

No comments: