Tuesday, February 19

Busting Through Barriers, Pt. 1

"But Moses said to God, 'Who am I, that I should go to Pharaoh and bring the Israelites out of Egypt?'" (Exod. 3:11)

We started a new message series on Sunday, called "CRAZY!" and we talked about how God calls us to do SEEMINGLY IMPOSSIBLE (and sometimes illogical) things. Well, of course, the first thing we usually do is panic, and say, "No way, Jose... I didn't even submit a job application for that!" The task is huge, and it overwhelms us... and creates barriers that must be busted through in order to fully embrace God's call on our lives. And the first barrier we must make it through is the IDENTITY barrier.

What is the Identity barrier? It is simply thinking - FOR GOOD OR FOR BAD - that doing what God calls me to do is dependent on who I am.

But if we're going to embrace the "crazy impossible", our perspective must be right. Moses' perspective was all wrong... God never put the onus of responsibility on him to deliver Israel. In fact, He had already said (vs. 7-8), "I have seen... I have heard... I am concerned... So, I have come down to rescue My people." It's GOD that does the fighting; we simply roll with Him! Moses' problem was that he thought God was calling him to be the deliverer, when God was only saying, "You go... be my representative... and I'll be with you as you go!"

See, many of us can't bust through the identity barrier, because we haven't accepted the fact that - although God calls us - the call is an invitation to join Him. So, it's not about who I am, but about who He is! And I don't know about you, but that's freeing to me... to know that accomplishing this humongous task - the crazy impossible - that God has called us to, is not dependent on who we are...

Not our strengths...
Not our weaknesses...
Not our past...
Not our present...

He USES us to accomplish His purpose... but don't get it twisted - we are simply the instrument... the tool... in His hand.

No comments: