Monday, March 9

Don't Overlook What You Already Have!

"What can I do to help you?” Elisha asked. “Tell me, what do you have in the house?" "Nothing at all, except a flask of olive oil," she replied (2 Kings 4:2).

One night a couple of summers ago, I heard a humongously loud (it seemed to me at the time) chirping noise... not the bird kind, but the CRICKET kind... somewhere in my living room. Everyone else was asleep, and I didn't want to wake anybody by being loud, but I knew I had to find this bug... it was driving me CRAZY!

[SIDEBAR: Right now, somebody's rolling their eyes saying, "Yeah, SQUASH 'im... I HATE it when that happens!" You're feelin' my pain, and I appreciate it.]

So, I'm looking for this little "trumpeter"... he was REALLY loud... but I couldn't find him. In fact, I was looking DIRECTLY at the spot where the sound was coming from, and there was no bug!! Or, at least, that's what I thought. All of a sudden, I caught a slight movement of something... looked a little closer... and there it was: THE TINIEST CRICKET I'D EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE!! As much as I was searching for it, I couldn't see it... because it was so small!

You know, some of us are searching... desperately... for some answer, some method, some new skill or training, some new whatever, in order to propel our ministry (or life, or dream, or business) to new heights. We're looking all over the place... becoming frustrated and fed up... because that thing we're looking for - whatever it is, we really don't know - seems so elusive. I've got news for you: you already have it. You do... you just haven't discovered it. And maybe it's because you're looking for something that's BIG and NOTICEABLE... but maybe the thing is so small, you've never paid much attention to it... maybe you see it as pretty much nothing, "except a flask of olive oil."

The olive oil didn't seem like much to the widow... yet, God would take that little bit of oil and multiply it... and it would - literally - propel her into a new level of living! God WANTS to do the impossible through us... but He's asking us, "What's in your house??" He never calls us without giving us what we need in order for Him to fulfill His purpose through us... we just have to discover "our olive oil"... begin to use it... and watch Him multiply it... ALL FOR HIS GLORY!

Okay... so, take a minute or two or five, and answer that question: WHAT... IS... IN... YOUR... HOUSE?

2 comments:

ParrishPalace said...

Thanks for the good word!

Firedancer said...

Awesome Word. Needed that encouragement today. Thanks my brother!