Friday, September 26

Can Anything Good Come Out of Takoma Park?

For 23 years of my life, I lived in a little town (I consider it my hometown) in Maryland - right outside of Washington, DC - called Takoma Park... a little-known place that has produced several well-known people:


Goldie Hawn, actress...
Steve Francis, NBA Houston Rockets basketball player...
Tamyra Gray, singer from American Idol fame/actress...
Sharmba Mitchell, former boxing WBA super-lightweight world chamion (4 successful defenses)...
Maia Campbell, former teen actress of "In the House" fame with LL Cool J...
Marty Lyons, former NY Jets football player...
Dominique Dawes... former Olympic Gold medalist...

Takoma Park is definitely not a big town, so having a handful of celebrities/TV personalities come from one little area is pretty amazing. And then, there are some who actually grew up in my neighborhood... Belford Towers... and I knew them personally, like:

Chris Thomas, comedian...
Glenson Sitney, former George Washington Univ. basketball star...
Lisa Comfort Bradford, former candidate for District of Columbia Council Ward 4 (well, she was almost famous)...
Stephanie Ready (picture above), NBA Charlotte Hornets' Sideline Analyst and the first woman coach in men's professional sports (I actually hadn't seen Stephanie in years, and recently ran into her brother Eddie Ready who told me about her present career)...
And now...
D-PLUM!!!!!
Well, I may not have "star" status with many... but The Plummer fam is CRAZY about me! ;-)

No comments: