Tuesday, December 18

Word of God, Speak!

This morning, I took my 4-yr old, Seth (the one who thinks he's Michael Jackson) to preschool... we were running a little late, but got there in time for the pledges: to the American flag, the Christian flag, and the Bible. It was so strange... I'd heard the Christian flag and Bible pledges before (I went to a Christian school most of my grade school/high school years), but it had been years since I'd last heard them. And I began to dwell upon those words from one of the pledges: "I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God's holy Word. I will make it a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. I will hide it's words in my heart, that I might not sin against God."

I pledge allegiance to the Bible, God's holy Word...

Oh, that believers, especially pastors, everywhere would take those words to heart! We can say them with our lips, but our lives often reflect a different reality... and so do our churches. We're committed to innovation, we're committed to church growth, we're committed to the latest leadership books, we're committed to a whole lot of things... and we preach nice, clear messages that have one point, we have great music... but are lives being changed because of the preeminence of the teaching of the Word of God?

I'm all for clear, practical, relevant teaching... I'm all for innovation... I'm all for awesome (even spectacular) worship... but if we aren't getting to know God through His Word, and allowing His Word to take root in our lives and transform us... and then allowing that to overflow to our people on Sundays... all we've done is burn alot of energy... and alot of money.

Word of God, speak... let it pour down like rain
Washing my eyes to see Your majesty
To be still and know that You're in this place
Please let me stay in rest in Your holiness
Word of God, speak!

No comments: