Tuesday, August 28

Still Get Chills...

Almost 7 1/2 years ago, Keda and I went to a Church Planters' Bootcamp with a guy named Aaron Pankey and his wife, Malita. Together, we were starting Infinity Church... where I would serve as Worship Leader and Director of Small Groups.

The boot camp was a life changing event for me: It was there that I realized that planting strong churches is non-negotiable, if we're really going to reach unchurched people for Christ... and God began to birth in me a desire to see a movement of church planting begin in the MD/DC area... and to see countless lives transformed by the power of the Good News of Jesus Christ!

The leaders of the boot camp gave each of us a rock, with Matthew 16:18 written on it. You know the verse; it's where Jesus said, "...upon this rock I will build my church, and all the powers of hell will not conquer it." Honestly, I got chills when they handed that rock to me... they definitely made their point. But the significance of the moment wouldn't stand out for many years...

This past May, while driving to our launch service, Pastor Aaron sent me a text message that simply said, "Matthew 16:18." And I got those chills again.

And, when the going gets tough... and I want to throw in the towel (as well as throw the rock through my window!)... I often hold that Matthew 16:18 rock in my hand... as a reminder that it's not my job to build the church... JESUS WILL BUILD HIS CHURCH!!

And hell won't prevail.

He never said it wouldn't be tough... He just said hell will not prevail.

He never said we wouldn't run into obstacles... He just said hell will not prevail.

He never said we wouldn't "take our licks"... He just said...

You guessed it: HELL WILL NOT PREVAIL!! No matter what Satan says or tries to do... He will never conquer Christ's church... Jesus WILL build His church...

... and hell WILL NOT prevail!

AND I STILL GET CHILLS WHEN I THINK ABOUT THAT!!!!

1 comment:

Jim Henry said...

Amen...