Friday, December 21

Meter, Meter On the Mall...

I was at Starbucks today (the one with the metered parking lot), and decided to feed the meters for people who'd let theirs expire... and leave our church's small invite card on their windshield. I fed about 8-10 meters, left some cards on the cars, and then left.

A few hours later, I got this REALLY IRATE call from a lady who was ticked off because she "got this card" on her windshield. She went on and on about how her "space was violated" and how she "doesn't want to EVER see another one" of our cards on her car.

I listened intently... and then politely responded, "Ma'am, I am so sorry. Your meter had expired, and we wanted to show the love of God in a very practical way... so we put a couple of quarters in your meter and left our card. However, I am very, very sorry, because I can tell how distraught you are about not having the opportunity to have received a parking ticket for letting your meter expire."

Silence.

Finally, she said, "Someone from your church fed my meter? That was very nice of you. I'm sorry I called in such an angry manner... thanks alot, and have a very Merry Christmas!"

Glad she responded that way...

Cuz I almost cussed.

JUST KIDDING!!!! :-)

Seriously, though... random acts of kindness can have a profound effect on the recipient... because sharing God's love in radical and practical ways can soften even the hardest of hearts.

Random Acts of Kindness... have you performed one today? :-)

2 comments:

Chris Garriott said...

Please feed my meter!!! great story...I bet she takes a second look at the card!! great idea

Chris Garriott said...

Please feed my meter!!! great story...I bet she takes a second look at the card!! great idea