Monday, November 27

On the Move

"As Jesus walked beside the Sea of Galilee, he saw Simon and his brother Andrew casting a net into the lake..." (Mk. 1:16)

I'm told that the average church in America is under 100 people in attendance... and declining. I don't know for sure, because I've never done my own research... but I believe it's true. I hear reports about struggling churches often. I'm also told that the average Christ-follower shares his/her faith less than once a month. Now, I'm sure this is true! :-) I know that's been true at many times in my life, and I'm sure I'm not the only one who struggles with that. The interesting thing about the passage above is that Jesus seems to have been looking for disciples. He was intentional. He didn't just wait around for people to be attracted to His life (although there were many who followed Him on their own)... He took the initiative, and went out on the lookout for those whom He would call to join Him.

As I read Scripture, it seems to me that God was always blessing those who took the initiative in living out their faith: David, in his zeal to honor his God and get rid of Israel's giant-sized problem; Nehemiah, in his desire to repair Jerusalem's broken and neglected walls; Daniel, in his resolve not to "defile himself" and eat forbidden, although probably delicious, Babylonian food (Dan. 1:8); Peter, in his determination to be be near his Master... even if it meant walking on water in the midst of a storm. Whoever it was, whatever it involved, God was always for those who took the initiative in moving forward by faith and trusting Him with the results! How much of a difference would we see in our churches... and in our own evangelism... if we would simply move out by faith, take some initiative, and trust God to bless our efforts?

Jesus walked by the Sea of Galilee, and saw Peter and his brother Andrew... we can also take the initiative and look out for those whom God might be calling us into relationship with.

Who are we looking for today?

Until later,
PD

No comments: