Tuesday, July 4

O Say, Can You See?

Just wanted to write a quick post... today is Independence Day... the day when we celebrate the freedom we have as citizens of this great country. I'm really glad that I live in a country where I can choose where I live, I can choose where I work, I can choose the type of car I drive, I can choose where I spend my free time... because, of course, there are people in this world who don't enjoy those freedoms. It hasn't always been that way in our country, though. Being an African-American, I'm reminded that there was a time when those same freedoms I mentioned above didn't apply to most people of my race. I take it for granted now... my great-great-grandparents couldn't.

As believers, many times we take for granted the freedom that's been purchased for us by Christ. We used to be slaves to sin, but now - in Christ - we've been set free from the power and bondage of sin (Rom. 6:7). This freedom is to be experienced and lived out by us daily... it's a done deal, we don't have to look for it, we don't have to worry about whether our liberator is really a "good man" or not (He'll never take back our freedom) - we've been forever set free! Independence Day for the believer doesn't come just once a year... it is every day!

Wow... can you imagine what it would be like if we lived everyday anticipating God's activity in our lives to be displayed like a barrage of fireworks? We would most definitely be the light of the world! ;-)

No comments: