Monday, June 26

A Father's Love

Man... I just finished singing Edelweiss (pronounced a-dell-vice) to my youngest son, Seth, to put him to sleep (go ahead... say it together, "Awww..."). All three of my boys, now, have been lullabyed to sleep from that song at some point in their little lives. My middle son, Shawn, especially likes for me to sing to him at night... he looks forward to it almost every night... and I do, too. He and his older brother have bunk beds, and Shawn sleeps on the top bunk... so, when I sing to him, I stand next to the bed and rub his back ... while he nestles his head on my arm. I usually sing two or three rounds of a particular song, kiss his cheek, and tell him goodnight; he hugs my neck and says, "Goodnight, Daddy... love you, Daddy." Night after night, same routine... and you know what? I never tire of hearing those words.

Every child needs to be embraced by their father. I didn't grow up with that kind of relationship with my father, but God has reminded me over and over again that He loves me like no earthly father ever could. He loves to love on us! The Bible says, "He will delight in you with gladness. With His love, He will calm all your fears. He will rejoice over you with joyful songs" (Zeph. 3:17). It may sound a little mushy... maybe even corny... but the Father loves to sing over us! He delights to lavish us in His love... and He loves for us to return that love... to nestle in His arms, and tell Him, "Love You, Daddy."

And you know what? He never tires of hearing those words...

"I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness" (Jer. 31:3).

No comments: